Situated above the high altar, the crucifix was given in 1908 by the Rev. Francis Richmond and was obtained from the terracotta works at Measham.
The cross on which the figure is mounted is the one which was used for the ceremony of the blessing of the foundation stone on July 19th, 1907. The gilt rays were added by Lord Walter Kerr in 1913.
With the passage of time, in this case ninety-six years, the gilt had dulled and darkened, causing the crucifix to merge into the background.
Lord Walter’s descendant, Lord Ralph, arranged for the rays to be covered with gold leaf. A local craftswoman was commissioned to do the work of restoring the rays and retouching the figure of Christ. It now shines out above the high altar, once more a notable feature of the church.