3 Items

The Sanctuary Crucifix centenary – 2008

by Grace

Situated above the high altar, the crucifix was given in 1908 by the Rev. Francis Richmond and was obtained from the terracotta works at Measham. The cross on which the figure is mounted is the one which was used for the ceremony of the blessing of the foundation stone on July 19th, 1907.  The gilt […]

Parish Centenary – 2006

by Grace

On May 12th, the parishioners of Our Lady of Mercy and St. Philip Neri in Melbourne celebrated the centenary of their parish’s foundation. Our Lady of Mercy and St. Philip Neri, Melbourne 1906 – 2006 At the Tea Rooms Bishop Malcolm presided over the celebrations, which began outside the Melbourne Tea Rooms, the original Catholic […]

The restoration of the church bell – 2006

by Grace

The sound of the church bell had not been heard for over twenty-five years owing to the need for restoration.  Bob Smith, owner of the local bell hanging company, had offered some years ago to restore the bell, intending to donate his labour as a gift to the parish. It was decided that the centenary […]